Friday, January 23, 2015

So Exciting That It Took Down An A-Lister!


Just a friendly reminder that if you like to hear chicks discuss Scarlett Johansson luring naked men to sexy death in alien space goo, then this week's podcast episode of The Feminine Critique is for you. My partner in crime Christine joins me as we tackle Jonathan Glazer's recently divisive indie hit Under the Skin and his unnecessarily controversial (but super good) 2004 film Birth.


Head over to iTunes to hear that plus a whole lot more talk on all things film, including just how awesome Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters is and the true glory of watching a gorilla drink a martini.


C'mon. You can't tell me that isn't the best thing you've seen in your life. I mean, you CAN tell me, but there's no way in Africa that I'll believe you.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting discussion... it got me to go watch Under The Skin and I really liked it. I'm glad it didn't try to stick close to the book, leaving it much more open to interpretation.
    Visually and pacing-wise (but not plot) it reminded me a lot of Mabarosi, a beautiful and strange Japanese film from 1995.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of Mabarosi, but I'll definitely check it out. Did you enjoy the book?

      Delete
    2. I haven't read the book... but the detailed synopsis I read after the movie seems much less mysterious... more specific. Possibly more overtly political (anti-carnivore). The woman does commit suicide though, with some sort of implanted bomb.
      It seems like the commentary of the movie was directed more at her becoming 'woman'... and various experiences that go along with that, including being preyed upon by men. Though I wouldn't go nearly so far as to agree with the 'rapist savior' FB comment you mentioned.

      Delete
    3. The 'becoming a woman' is definitely the theme I'm most settled on.

      Delete