Monday, March 25, 2024

Battleship, But More Boring


It's the end of the world as we know it, and this movie feels...blah.

Quick Plot: The year is 2063, and it's not a great one. Most of our planet has drowned, leaving just two unnamed continents above water, and both, therefore, at eternal war. 


On one side, four fairly apathetic paid soldiers are stationed on a base in the middle of the ocean (well, or anywhere, considering most of the world now looks like this). Relief is three months late, and hotheaded Baines and restless Sullivan are eager to jump ship at any chance they get...which makes the appearance of an abandoned enemy ship pretty kismet. 

Cassidy (played with suitable stoicism by Kate Bosworth), finds herself in the middle. She has a casual/maybe deeper romance with Sullivan, but also seems to carry some loyalty to the cause and their superior officer, Sgt. Hendrichs, a man who is fully dedicated to protecting their station. Considering it houses some kind of mystery doomsday device that could completely destroy what's left of the world, that's probably a good thing. 


Last Sentinel is, to put it mildly, a very slow film. A nice way of saying this is to call it patient. A more straightforward adjective would be boring. 

Somewhere in between (but tipped a little to the right), I stand with sad bangs.


Not every apocalyptic drama needs to be exciting or action-packed. There are some great ones that zoom in on a single human element or intellectual challenge. You can tell an end of the world story without a single special effect. The genre doesn't require sparks.


But it should have some form of...life.

Written by Malachi Smyth and directed by Tanel Toom, Last Sentinel is a serviceable film. It's shot well, acted quite competently, and has a production design that seems to be making a lot with a little. There's (eventually) a clear sentiment towards the film's end about its message. 


But by golly, it's very slow.


At a full two hours, Last Sentinel is not what you would call an "urgent" film. It ultimately does have some things to say, but it's quite a slog to there. Still, completists of apocalyptian cinema will likely find some satisfaction.

High Points
To my surprise, the actual "four soldiers of varying levels of commitment" interpersonal relationships worked fine, and the dynamics of having one female second in command while in a sexual relationship with the lowest ranked felt absolutely natural. 



Low Points
That being said, there's a good rule in storytelling that I'll sum up in full butchered form: the more specifically your characters are drawn, the easier it is for your audience to connect with them. Last Sentinel goes in such an opposite direction of giving its decent actors zero details as to who their soldiers are, making them such blank slates that BOY is it hard to care

Lessons Learned
I'm not a soldier, but I have to believe it's a standing rule that when investigating potential enemy turf, you do what you can to stay in contact with your team

Engineering skills trump sanity any day



Nothing multiplied by ten still adds up to nothing

Rent/Bury/Buy
Apocalyptic completists (like me) should probably put Last Sentinel towards the low middle of their to-watch list. It's FINE, but also very, very dull. Find it on Amazon Prime.  Amazon Prime if that has any appeal. 

4 comments:

  1. Ok I lol'd at your review ("Last Sentinel is, to put it mildly, a very slow film. A nice way of saying this is to call it patient. A more straightforward adjective would be boring." -- love it) but I also love a lot of slow films, and I'm a sucker for apocalyptic stuff, so this sounds right up my alley! Adding it to my list now.

    Just curious, what are some of your fave apocalypse films? I'm always looking for more, and I like your take on lots of horrors so you're prob a good person to ask. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, I could go on forever about apocalypses! I've been obsessed ever since I stumbled upon The Day After as a very impressionable teenager.

      So let's see, let me try to group some things out:
      Devastating & Horrific: Threads (should be findable now on Shudder - IT WILL DESTROY YOU). Two recent films that fit this mold even though they're not EXACTLY apocalypse movies: Aniara (set on a spaceship) and Lockdown Tower

      Beautifully Human Stuff: Last Night (1998, one of my all-time faves), Testament

      For broader political stories, Virus (1980), On the Beach (both the '50s adaptation and made-for-TV '90s miniseries are good in very different ways)

      Wacky: 1990: The Bronx Warriors, Tosio Masuda's 1974 epic oddity The Prophecies of Nostradamus, Neil Marshall's Doomsday

      Hope these help to start!


      Delete
    2. Wonderful, thank you!

      The Day After - love it, it's actually good but it's also very easy to watch in the made-for-tv way.

      Threads - 10/10, one of my fave films of all time. I love how it is zero fun -- no big stars, no romance, just brutality and hopelessness. Be still, my beating heart!!

      Aniara - I didn't LOVE it, but it was really good and hopeless, and you're the only other person I know of who has seen it so I think it's underappreciated.

      Lockdown Tower - never heard of it, I'll give it a try.

      Last Night - hmmm. There are some elements here I like but I don't know if it's bleak enough for me.

      Testament and Virus - I like the look of both of these!

      On the Beach - I saw the original and quite liked it. Never heard of the miniseries, just watched a trailer and nope, looks too kitschy for me.

      Bronx Warriors, Doomsday, and Prophecies... - all too wacky for me but they would be fun group watches.

      Thanks again for these, I'm excited to check some of them out!

      Delete
    3. Can't wait to hear what you think!

      Delete