Friday, September 9, 2011

Lucky Dearest


I've made no secrets about my enthusiasm for the work of Jack Ketchum and likewise, my frustrations with the general off-target film adaptations of his work. While I think both The Lost and The Girl Next Door have merit, there seems to exist some wall between cinema fully capturing what makes Ketchum such a powerfully horrifying writer. After the lackluster Offspring, I didn't expect much to come from his savage clan series but when a filmmaker as unique as Lucky McKee steps up, I take notice.
The Woman, a pseudo-sequel to 2009's Offspring, is now slowly making its way to randomly placed theaters and film festivals. It's a powerful film, one bravely oozing in the ugly examination of sexual violence, domestic abuse, misogyny, enslavement, and power washing. Naturally, such accusations make it prime grade meat for the Girls On Film to tackle, bibs in place and homemade sauce ready to go. Our discussion is quite spoilery, so you may want to save it until The Woman grunts her way to your television. The episode is waiting on iTunes or at over yonder.

On a more fashionable note, my GleeKast cohostess Erica and I recently sat down with The Podcast Podcast/Spread TBs Fozziebare and his future husband George to watch an amazing little slice of cinema you might know as Mommie Dearest. Loyal readers wil know that I have a special relationship with this film...


And so it was more than a pleasure to share a viewing with others. You can download the commentary at iTunes or stream over here. We tell you when to press play, so listen along in your best red carpet ready gowns and remember to hang them up properly when finished.


18 comments:

  1. I have never seen Mommy Dearest. Though the amount of Bette Davis/Joan Crawford documentary's I've seen probably more than makes up for it. Still, I'm probably gonna get a faceful of comet until I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE at least tell me you've seen Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? PLEASE!

    And yes, consider your face commented and rear wire hangered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Mommy Dearest was like, a rite of passage or something? No...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Ashlee. Yes (shakes head at Chris)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah...well...well when I hunt for bad movies, I never rely on the simplicities of stuff like renting or Instant Watch, no, if I hunt down films where rapists turn women into whispers or Don The Dragon Wilson has to stop Rick Hill's nefarious plot to open up a computer dating service, I BUY them! With cash! Surely that buys me some credit? No? Well fine then, I'll hunt eBay for Mommy Dearest, and Whatever Happened To Baby Jane too! *mutters* women!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! And I meant to say I've had The Woman thrown in my face since it hit theatres so now I'm anxious to see it! Especially considering the work I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pff. Us women. We should all just be chained up in basements anyway, right?

    Really curios to hear your thoughts on The Wonan Ashlee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen mommy dearest either, who's in that??

    (waits for punch in face)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excuse me while I go sharpen my wire hangers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't see Mommy Dearest, either. I'm going to get beaten with a wet towel, aren't I?

    But I have seen Baby Jane,Strait-Jacket, Dead Ringers and The Nanny. May watch Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte as part my October horror/thriller viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fine Burgundy, I'll give you a pearl necklace and refrain from sending you to a nunnery due to your cinematic history. Plus you're reminding me that I need to sit down and watch Hush Hush from the beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, a pearl necklace!

    Hey, wait a minute. . .

    You haven't dipped my new baubles in arsenic, have you? Laced them with chloroform? On second thought, I won't be needing these! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What? NEVER! These pearls were a gift from Our Dear Leader Himself! And if you DARE to pawn them, he will annihilate your entire country.

    ReplyDelete
  14. *Nervously starts using pearls as a rosary and I'm not even Catholic*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its best to accept the pearls Burgundy, you could end up like me. I've got more wire hangers on me than the fella in hellraiser..

    I did see Dead Ringers in a theatre if that will deflate my penance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the next time I change gynecologists, I'm going to start the appointment by casually asking if he or she has seen that great Jeremy Irons movie from the '80s called Dead Ringers. The reaction alone is worth a shaky pap smear.

    Yes Burgundy, treat those pearls with respect. You don't want to know what they've seen*

    *Put no heed in the fact that I said that right after a statement regarding the gynecologist. No heed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If this conversation made it over to silva & gold or GGTMC i'm sure it would mutate into something very bizare.*

    *Put no heed in the fact that i don't find it bizarre yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, somehow even more bizarre then it so far is not in the LEAST!

    ReplyDelete